Thursday, June 18, 2009

Birth of Eve Quintet

Birth of Eve, I

Birth of Eve, II

Birth of Eve, III

Birth of Eve, IV

Birth of Eve, V

detail

detail



the backside can be quite interesting!



What I've been up to in my studio the past 2 afternoons, The Birth of Eve Quintet, for The Black Frame Sale. I am repurposing (to use that groovy new word of the hour) some of my prints and drawings as a base and as collage material, along with images from old magazines, and fabric, and mixed media. The series is based on the second creation story about Adam and Eve from Genesis, where Eve is pulled from Adam's ribs. In the first story, Adam and Eve are created simultaneously. So interesting that there are these two versions of this story in the Bible. Anyhow, this project brings up many topics around cultural gender stereotypes, relationship/power issues between men and women, and of course, who's at fault for eating that damned apple? And the price to pay for knowledge, having to leave the garden, etc. Seems that the garden is about connection to spirit and the expulsion is the advent and domination of mind/ego...


I have made much work based on Adam and Eve, and animus/anima, as you can see here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.


Balance. We need balance.

7 comments:

Katherine said...

Very cool work!

Brad Gailey said...

Damned apple indeed. Makes one wonder about the apple that Paris gave Helen or the apple that caused Atalanta to falter in the race. Seems apples are bad mojo for women.

Brad

Rob S. said...

These are just WILD. The whole Adam and Eve mythos is pretty complex, when you think about it. It demands continual re-interpretation. Yes, it may be Biblical, but it's an allegory, not a fundamental truth. Therefore, all kinds of ideas can be drawn from it.

martha miller said...

Thankyou, Katherine! I love your Art & Meaning posts! Wonderful!!

martha miller said...

Hi Brad!

Yes, how DO you like them apples?Then there's the one that Snow White took a bite from...

martha miller said...

Thanks, Rob! I'll take WILD as a compliment!
Yes, I've been intrigued by this story forever. When I was in my senior year in high school, I came up with the idea for our drama dept's one act play and then co-wrote and fleshed it out with 2 other girls. It was about Adam and Eve, and Good and Evil. I titled it Gray Matter because we came to no definitive conclusions - the show ended with Good and Evil (dancers, one black, one white) donning diaphenous (sp?) gray capes and pulling off their masks to reveal B&W checkboard faces...

Ooooh, Heavy! But not bad for teenagers! In fact, our play won top honors in the New England One Act Play competition! :*)

Rob S. said...

"Wild" WAS a compliment, Martha. I took a look at these and wide-eyed, I exclaimed, "Whoa!" all the while with a smile on my face. This can only be a good thing :)

Wow, that play was very high-minded for teenagers, for sure. These days, all kids want to aspire to is "High School Musical." Arg.