Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Curtains and Clothespins














I've pieced together the 2 panels of my patchwork squares. Yesterday while in my studio I remembered that I had several of my grandmother's old clothespins - these are special - they have a metal clip that attaches to the clothesline. This would enable us to clip all the laundry indoors before heading out to the line, and then quickly hang the wash, snap, snap, snap. This was especially welcome on frigid winter days when the least time spent outdoors with frozen fingers, the better! The wash would freeze and flap halfway dry in the wind - then we'd bring it in and drape it over the chairs and radiators to finish drying...
I like the idea of hanging these panels on a clothesline rope for my installation, rather than a curtain rod. I've done several performances about clotheslines in the past (you can read about them here, here, and here).

Step by step, it's coming together...

2 comments:

Susan Beauchemin said...

those clothespins are the best--I have one or two, but have left them out on the line so they've weathered. I'm amazed that Mom would always bring them in and store them in a basket under the sink--those are some OLD clothespins, but they don't look it!

Jeane Myers said...

yum!