Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Girl's Primer







































I have been working on this trio of drawings for 9 months and I'm finally ready to march these ghosts out of my studio. My triptych, A Girl's Primer, will be in a group show at Aucocisco Gallery in Portland for the month of December. I'm thrilled to be invited to show at Aucocisco with four other artists: Michele Caron, Rachael Eastman, Tanya Fletcher, and Judy O'Donnell. I'm just about finished, still doing a bit of fine tuning, and I need to make the hanging mechanisms. They will hang unframed, and I'm planning to string wire to three boards and attach each drawing to its respective board with velcro. They will then simply hang on picture hangers. Theyre not heavy, but they're big, at 4' x 8' each.



Here is my working artist statement which still needs a tweak or two. I don't want to say too much - just a sort of lead in...




My mother’s loss of memory due to the ravages of Alzheimer’s and her recent death prompted me to create this series of drawings, a triptych populated by three major spirits: my mother, my father, and my maternal grandmother. A Girl’s Primer speaks of love, loss, dreams, desire, memory and experience, and the early forces that shaped me.

2 comments:

Susan Beauchemin said...

Oh Wow--these have changed soo much!! They look great--so wish I could see them in person--I like the gold on the backside as the paper curls!

martha miller said...

I so wish you could be there tomorrow!! miss you, sue! xox