Saturday, February 26, 2011

Tripping










I've spent the past two days in my studio, pushing and pulling dark and light, and playing with proportions and the placement of images on my triptych. In addition to charcoal, I have started to add some white acrylic - I want my drawings to have the same range of grays and sparkling whites and rich blacks as found in a good old movie.

I stated before that this piece is about the primary three people who raised me - my mother, my father, and my maternal grandmother. These three also happen to be the people closest to me who have died, and while working on the triptych, I have felt their presence quite strongly. At times I find myself weeping, even though I don't feel particularly sad - just overcome with emotion. I've had the sensation that I am loved unconditionally and feel cheered on by all three, as if their spirits have none of the fear or judgement that their human forms may have sometimes harbored about me and my art.
I have been a little concerned that this piece is too personal for anyone else to relate to, then found a great quote this morning:

Women are repeatedly accused of taking things personally. I cannot see any other honest way of taking them. ~ Marya Mannes, American writer b. 1904
(I've been listening to Raising Sand quite a bit in my studio, and yesterday saw the humor in how a song may have subconsciuosly affected my placement of certain images...:^)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was beautiful before when it was more
plain, now that you've been adding chunks
inside and around; it simply astounds me.

i've spent a bit of time in the art
museum here before the flood hit,
i don't remember anything so engaging as
this. it's really beautiful.

i've said this before to someone,
but i think the things which are most
globally understood are the things most
personal to us. and i think you've
captured that well so far.

artslice said...

Wow, these are wonderful and huge! I love that quote you found - and I think even though these works are deeply personal to you... the viewer can relate because these images ooze memory, emotion and being human.

martha miller said...

thankyou, marc! i appreciate your feedback!

martha miller said...

hi brenda - thankyou - it helps to hear that!