Thursday, March 4, 2010

Marla Refined




I made several changes at Marla's request: I lightened her roots, brought down her forehead a smidge, lightened her ear (wah - I love how ears look orange with the light shining through them!) made her nose a little smaller, reduced emphasis on breasts. She also wanted upright lilies, so we were on the same page about that, and she wanted the herons to be blue herons, which I'd already done, so we were also on the same page about that. I'm OK with these requests, I keep reminding myself that this is a collaboration of sorts. My challenge is to keep my artistic voice, and to keep the portrait alive. My fear is that it will start to look like someone else's work, not mine...(why fear? oh, that's my ego!)
Seeing it on the screen helps me to see what little adjustments I still need to make (like that horizon line on the right needs to be leveled...)
Don't want to overwork it - it's getting dangerously close to that point...
I do enjoy the indoors/outdoors, real and imagined aspects of the portrait...
What do you think??

9 comments:

KaHolly said...

I like the nature that is inserted into the portrait, too. I think the color is well balanced, as well. You've done a beautiful job "in collaboration" with the subject, and I'm sure Marla is pleased! ~karen

martha miller said...

hi karen, thankyou! marla is pleased! yes, this was actually alot of fun!

Brad Gailey said...

I've been following with interest your process with and thoughts about this piece. I've been thinking about my work with portraits and posting drawings that I have been working on lately as practices and find that my thoughts cover the same territory. Trevor Lingard, in a recent post, voiced similar concerns about a portrait of his wife Lyne. Despite the multiplicity of talents and styles, it never fail to amaze me how our concerns as artists run parallel. Oh, also, I think this is an excellent piece of work.

Brad

Elizabeth Seaver said...

It is beautiful, Martha. There seems little danger that this will be untrue to your style and vision. I do know what you mean about commissioned work, though, it is a collaboration of sorts. But your artistic voice is intact!

It is lovely.

Susan Beauchemin said...

I love it Martha!

Dean Grey said...

Martha!

It was neat seeing the before and after, I mean, now that it's been "refined".

Personally, I love the original look of it. It was your interpretation of the person.

Now with all of Marla's "suggestions" it looks like a typical portrait of her rather than your own creation.

While it should be a collaboration between the two, I think the person posing should let the artist do it the way they want!

Maybe I'm biased since I'm an artist myself.

Still a lovely portrait though!

-Dean

martha miller said...

thanks, sue! you know how i've agonized!

martha miller said...

Hey there, Dean!

Yes, I know, I know...it's a tough call, you know? I decided to think of myself like any other professional offering a service for this piece...THANKS for your vote of confidence on the original!

martha miller said...

Thankyou, Elizabeth and Brad!!!