Saturday, May 9, 2009

Cherbuliez, Hultberg, and The Double Helix...

Through the portal...
Sculpture by Diana Cherbuliez now at Whitney Artworks


A double helix in space...



John Hultberg
Door in Foliage


Cherbuliez


Hultberg


Self-portrait in Cherbuliez's sculpture...


Hultberg


Cherbuliez


Cherbuliez


Hultberg


Cherbuliez


The double helix


Cherbuliez


Cherbuliez's sculpture as seen from the front...

...and...from the side...
...now step inside...


I attended the Stratum opening at Whitney Artworks here in Portland last night (terrific show - do check it out! I went expressly to see the work of Molly Levine and Elianna Mesaikos, two MECA alums...) and while there I was drawn into this sculpture by Diana Cherbuliez. From the front, it looks like a mirror in a very nice shoe store. From the side you get a little glimpse of another realm - there is a small, twisted, wooden ladder and there are some mirrors...and then you peer inside, and...whoooosh! Through the portal! Spiraling ladders, double helices, Hultbergian landscapes! Fractures, fragments, infinity! It's dizzying! What a trippy piece! Interesting that I am currently reading Eckhart Tolle's book A New Earth, in which he speaks about the human race evolving to a new level of consciousness. While researching Tolle on-line last night I came across a video of a guru speaking about making oneself ready to pass through "the stargate," which led me to this video...





1 comment:

Carol Anne Strange said...

Hi Martha,

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comments.

Looks like a fantastic exhibition you attended, Martha. I love all those spirals!

I read Tolle a while back and find his work fascinating. There's much synchronicity going on at the moment. The video clip you've posted - wow! I'd love to know more.

Thanks for sharing this.x