Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Happy New Ear

A New Ear for the New Year.
I saw this message on my walk downtown Sunday morning, and it made me think of the first page from a little journal I made a few years ago...


(listen and breathe, what a good reminder...)


...a journal containing a collection of 19 of the dozens of hummingbird dreams that I've had and can remember and have recorded over the years...


page 2...


page 3...


page 4...


page 5...


...and on Sunday evening I received this Christmas gift, a new book from my son Eben and his wife, Tracey, A Summer of Hummingbirds: Love, Art, and Scandal in the Intersecting Worlds of Emily Dickinson, Mark Twain, Harriet Beecher Stowe, and Martin Johnson Heade, by Christopher Benfey. (Eben and Tracey know how obsessed I am with hummingbirds! Hence, the perfect gift!) I'm still in the prologue, but have gleaned that this group of creative individuals was also obsessed with the little flying jewels, and had formed a sort of spiritual cult of the hummingbird.

Count me in!




A Route of Evanescence


With a revolving Wheel


A Resonance of Emerald


A Rush of Cochineal


And every Blossom on the Bush


Adjusts it's tumbled Head


The Mail from Tunis, probably,


An easy Morning's Ride



~ Emily Dickinson

No comments: