Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Knockout Nudes
















Being a MECA alum, I have the great fortune of owning a life long library card at the Joanne Waxman Library. My studio is right next door to the school, so I'm in the library almost daily. My summer life drawing class started last night, and today I was looking for some good books on the figure to share with my students. I found a wonderful collection in Edward Lucie-Smith's The Body: Images of the Nude. Here are just a few: some will be familiar, and I'll wager that some will not. I scanned these images, so you can click on them to see details. Enjoy!
Christian Schad
Half-length Nude, 1929
Edgar Degas
The Tub, 1885
August Renoir
Bather Arranging her Hair, 1885
R.B. Kitaj
Marynka Smoking, 1980
Chaim Soutine
Female Nude, 1933
Henri Matisse
Carmelina, 1903
Francois Gerard
Flora, 1802
Guido Cagnacci (1601-81)
Death of Lucretia

No comments: