Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Italian Exchange: Botticelli/Modigliani Alice with Graces, and Thanh as Vietnamese Rice Farmer



I have to drive out to Bowdoinham today to deliver these drawings to the Merrymeeting Arts Center for a portrait exhibit of local artists that opens this weekend. The exhibit will also feature the work of Carlo Pittore and Bryce Muir - two Bowdoinham artists who were dear friends of each other, and who both died in 2005, just months apart. Carlo was a very special man and a dear friend of mine - you can learn a bit about him from the link I have posted.

These portrait drawings are of two high school students who I worked with during my senior year at MECA in a project I developed called Roll Models. I worked with a group of six high school students. In exchange for their modeling services, I, and several other print majors taught them intaglio after school in the MECA Print Department. I did one portrait of each student in their street clothes, and then they wanted me to do portraits of them in costume. These are Alice and Thanh's costumed portraits.

Thanh's family is from Viet Nam, and he wanted to pose in his father's farming clothes. Alice was an exchange student from Italy, doing her junior year in Portland, Maine.

The Italian Exchange: Botticelli/Modigliani Alice with Graces, 2006
oil, pastel, charcoal, watercolor and collage on Rives BFK, 29" x 41". For Sale.

Thanh as Vietnamese Rice Farmer, 2006
oil, pastel and charcoal on Rives BFK, 29" x 41". For Sale.

No comments: