Monday, March 29, 2010

Puzzling Fabric Design

I was talking to my daughter Kaitlyn yesterday about fabric designing, and my recent head scratching about how to create a borderless, continuous design, using a more complex composition of Lisbeth's mandalas. Kaitlyn reminded me of one of her high school art lessons in which she had to create a tessellation.

Tessellations! Of course! M. C. Escher created so many dizzying, magical examples of these...






Oh, but the math!


No! No crazy math needed! There are many easy methods to make your own tessellations! Check it out!



Now I just need to stop chasing my tail, get on Photoshop, and start designing! Ooo, bop bop ooo.....


3 comments:

Susan Beauchemin said...

I used to teach a lesson in tessellations to elementary school kids. I'll look it up and see if you can use any of the info, but I believe it would be very similar to some of the ways it's done in the link you provided. But how would that work with the mandalas?

word verification: 'lizin' Is Liz in?

martha miller said...

lis is in! xox

Dean Grey said...

These are starting to make me dizzy, Martha!

-Dean