Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Till We Meat Again






































You are what you eat. Pinyar Yolacan's fascinating and provocative meat portraits. Oh yes, the push me/pull me is at work while viewing these. Attraction and repulsion, equal parts. There are many artists who have used meat as subject and medium: Rembrandt, Chaim Soutine, Francis Bacon (with that name, it was destiny...) and Jana Sterbak, Zhang Huan...
These portraits also recall Julie Heffernan's paintings.

I once asked my dermatologist if it is difficult sewing flesh. She said, Oh, no! Skin is a wonderful material, so resilient - it's so easy to stitch!
(I have a difficult time just cutting a chicken leg in half...)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting, kind of like a train wreck, you don't want to look but have to. the drumsticks are the best.

Susan Beauchemin said...

Crazy!!! nobody's smiling---here let me drape you with meat!

martha miller said...

hi amy - yes, the drumsticks are great!

martha miller said...

hey sue - i know - imagine what she had to say to talk them into this!!!