Saturday, April 14, 2012

Reworking Greta





Or should I say, Re-Greta? :^)
I've been working on finishing this portrait of Greta Bank for an upcoming figurative show, using the photo of Greta as a reference to resolve the drawing. The drawing is roughly textured and layered with paint and drawing media - mostly pastel and colored pencil. I haven't felt this free to work a drawing to this level of finish since working on some of my older self-portraits. It feels quite satisfying to do so. I hope that the composition stays strong and that the piece retains its power without my initial loose and expressive lines...
I rather like this...it reminds me of an early Lucien Freud, or perhaps a Stanley Spencer...

3 comments:

Showing Up for the Muse said...

Love it. nice work, one of your strongest.

martha miller said...

Thankyou, Tillie!! I appreciate your positive response! xox

Don Gray said...

It's powerful, Martha--the forms feel so solid. And yes, Freud and Spencer are good analogies for the psychological energy and intensity of the portrait. Also love the deep, saturated color.