Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Spuds and Blood


I made some simple Christmas cards yesterday. I've made more work intensive cards in years past, but this year I decided I just wanted to do a good old fashioned potato print. We picked up our CSA share of veggies from Goranson's Farm last Saturday, and there were some decent sized spuds to work with...

I used Dahlov Ipcar as my inspiration...


...and I used one of Lisbeth's snowflakes as a stencil to spray the cards with a silver glitter spray paint as a final touch.

But then I said to myself as I bent over to look at them, Now all these cards need is a spot of red, and that's when my nose started to bleed!

I had to go sit down and put my head back before I dripped all over these!
(Yes, sorry, this is rather gory and gross, but it seemed too funny not to share!)

7 comments:

Susan Beauchemin said...

nice cards! I've found out it's better to hold your head forward or down and to pinch the nose in the middle. Is the air very dry?

artslice said...

Oof, sorry about the nose bleed! The cards look fabulous... love the birds. You're inspiring me with the potatoes. Happy holidays, Martha!

martha miller said...

Hi Sue!

Thanks! Oh, yes, with temps in the 20's and 2 woodstoves going, it's very dry!

martha miller said...

Hi Brenda!

Thanks! Happy Holidays to you, and have fun with your beautiful art quilts!

Indigo, madder, marigold said...

Oh these are so beautiful!!! i was thinking of foregoing the whole stamp-carved cards this year but maybe it is not too late to draw up a little something. I love those birds.
I bet the dry air is "helping" your nose bleed.

Andytgeezer said...

Hey Martha - I discovered your mailart through Dean's site and thought I'd drop by. He speaks very highly of you!

I love the design on these pieces. Do you mind if I send you something? I do a little mailart myself and would love to mail off to someone new!

Andy

Andytgeezer said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog Martha - a little piece of London is winging it's way to you now!

Andy