Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Handmade Memories

Reading Amanda Soule's wonderful blog post this morning prompted me to post this old photograph of me in the tub with my two daughters, Kaitlyn and Lisbeth, in the summer of 1982. Amanda tells about spiffing up her small bathroom with handmade items. My old bathroom in Sanford needed some of that TLC. You can see a bit of my handpainting on the side of the old clawfoot tub, and just a peek of a skirt that I had sewed for the sink - it had colorful appliqued triangles all along the hem (if you have an old sink like this, a hot glue gun and velcro make it possible to hang a skirt around the exposed pipes...)

Too bad this photo doesn't show the window curtain and the wallpaper, which were all covered in big birds and flowers, in a blue and orange color scheme. We were living on a shoestring back then, and much of my decor was handmade!

4 comments:

TERI REES WANG said...

A bath tub is always big fun, on any budget!

kelly said...

I may pinch the painting on the side of the tub idea for my bathroom.

Love your photo. Not sure I would brave a bath with all four of mine, we might go through the floor and into the kitchen....

Susan Beauchemin said...

I miss the old tub at the beach--it didn't get used all that much though without the hot water!

Sarah said...

This is a lovely photo! Handmade decor is always the best I think. My favourite things in my home are made by hand-by me or someone else. Years ago I painted an underwater scene in my friends' bathroom. Looking back it wasn't that great but they liked it and so did I and I was really flattered that they wanted my painting on their wall. I like the painting on the side of your bath-what I can see of it anyway!