Thursday, April 9, 2009

Ringgold and Rivers

Faith Ringgold
The Wake and Resurrection, 1976

Faith Ringgold
Bitter Nest Series: Part III
Lovers in Paris, 1988


Faith Ringgold
Sleeping: Lover's Quilt #2, 1986


Faith Ringgold



Larry Rivers
Cropped Bed, 1967


Larry Rivers
I Like Olympia in Blackface (detail, left) 1970



I Like Olympia in Blackface (detail, right)


Larry Rivers


Faith Ringgold and Larry Rivers. Their books are right next to each other on the MECA library shelf. I am interested in their mix of paint and fiber, painting and sculpture. That top image absolutely slays me...

2 comments:

artslice said...

Both artists are so very cool... but I love Faith. I saw a retrospective of her work here in Spokane at the Jundt art museum at Gonzaga U. Very inspiring and interesting use of media.

Don Gray said...

Don't know which Rivers book you have. I have one called "Drawings and Digressions" that is great. It has a lot of River's drawings, along with his running monologue on virtually everything under the sun. Rivers was very talkative, loved to gossip about the art world and was often shockingly frank. Thanks for featuring these two intriguing artists.