Monday, March 31, 2008

Collage Portraits













Today is my friend Jo's birthday (the woman in the top portrait - Happy Birthday, Jo!) which prompted me to bring out these images. (My father was infamous for remembering birthdays. He'd wake up and say enthusiastically...

[and I stress enthusiastically here, because my father was a MORNING PERSON, and whether you wanted to be awake or not, when George was up, everybody was up...]

"Hey, it's Wally Schwartz's birthday today!" or, "Guess What! Today is Reuben Camp's birthday!" We kids did not know these people from Adam's apple and would groan and shake our heads. Of course one of the curses of adulthood is to find yourself doing the annoying things your parents did. That said, Today is Jo Goiran's birthday! It is also Will Thompson's birthday! [he was my therapist for 4 years and pretty much got me out of the fetal position, for which I'll be eternally grateful...]
I have always had alot of Aries friends.
Anyway. These portraits are part of a series that I made in my sophomore year at MECA in my Mixed Media Drawing class with Lisa Whelan. She encouraged me to work larger and to go out and buy these big sheets of luan to work on. I had a ton of fun making these, standing hip deep in a monstrous pile of ripped paper with glue bottle and staple gun in hand. I highly recommend it!
(These are not the greatest images - somewhere on file I have tifs of these that will show better detail. Until I find them, though, you can click on these to see them better).
Jo, 2004
mixed media assemblage on luan panel, 32" x 48"
NFS
Garry In My Studio, 2004
mixed media assemblage on luan panel, 32" x 48"
collection of the artist
A Pretty Colleen, 2004
mixed media assemblage on luan panel, 32" x 48". For Sale.
Lisbeth in My Studio, 2004
mixed media assemblage on luan panel, 32" x 48" For Sale.

Spit in the Fire Self, 2004
mixed media assemblage on luan panel, 32" x 48" For Sale.

2 comments:

Susan Beauchemin said...

I happen to have a picture of Wally Schwartz in front of me at the computer right now! I wanted to find an old picture to perhaps put into my daily painting of Dad's Brownie camera--I didn't put it in the picture, but I've carried it around with me today for some reason. It's a picture of Dad when young with his two friends, they're each holding each other's hand--like a human link.

Anonymous said...

oh, please post it! i love that photo!