Monday, April 26, 2010

Ghosts of Ideas







Time for another on-line studio visit. My son Andy has a stack of old windows from various job sites piled up on our barn foundation and yesterday I pulled six of them out and began to play around with more ideas for my upcoming exhibit.
(Oooh, I really like the reflections of trees in the window panes...)
I've been talking about having these portraits printed on sheer fabric. I wonder how they would look as curtains hung behind these old windows? Or in front? Is the old window too overused ? (Should I care?) Is it too obvious a symbol? You know, windows of the soul, looking through the windows of time...
(Do I care about that if I like what's happening with these??)
Do I have to print these on fabric? Or do I simply use the drawings themselves? Or do I go for the fabric and window "sculptures," and frame the portraits in regular frames as another segment of the exhibit?
I was thinking about burning all these window frames so that they are charred charcoal black. I thought that might be a beautiful strong contrast with the white curtain/ghost/portrait. Burnt windows appeals to me, since my barn and studio burned down...
Hey, I could actually show a few of my burnt drawings in this show. I've never shown them before...
As usual, my head is trotting all around. Need to reign it in.
And as usual, Feedback is WELCOME!

16 comments:

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I like the third one and the sixth one but I also like the burnt idea with the curtain or just the curtain idea without the window. Sorry, no help but I do like the ride of ideas...your show will be great, I'm sure!

SouleMama said...

Oh, I really, really love the old windows, Martha! It's such a wonderful match for these old, dramatic portraits, I think. And with some of your burnt work too? Oh my. That could be so stunning.

Susan Beauchemin said...

If you like what you see don't even think about what's been done before--you didn't do it yet, so go for it! They look good behind the windows! I like the man positioned behind the red frame the best--it shows his face the best. I do like the paint that's left on the frame--maybe just some burnt parts? Also I like the idea of the sheer fabric and wonder how that would look behind the window, but I like how they look now on paper. Could you do a print yourself on some sheer fabric just to experiment with? I'm thinking of the cost of having a print done and curbing the cost.

Susan Beauchemin said...

Whoops...the man is behind the red frame in two pictures---so the 3rd picture down looks the best as far as positioning.

Unknown said...

These look so perfect behind the window frames....very other worldly and powerful. I love the idea of printing them on sheer fabric, especially if there will be some movement. Ooooohhh..I can see it now.

Jeane Myers said...

I agree that the window thingy has been done, but it really works with these pieces - they've become animated behind the windows :)

Dean Grey said...

Martha!

I think turning old windows into frames is BRILLIANT!

It goes so well with these family portraits! Clever girl!

I personally like the white wash look of the first ones though charring them sounds kind of interesting too!

Neat! Neat! Neat!

-Dean

Julie Fillo said...

Martha,
I agree too, the windows look amazing with these portraits. I especially like the lady in the hat.
Wonderful work.

martha miller said...

Thanks for your feedback and vote of confidence, Blue Sky!

martha miller said...

Thanks, Amanda! Glad to hear that you think they work together! I was excited when I put the drawings under these frames! (Is that on older pic of you? I like your light locks! :^)

martha miller said...

Hi Sue!

You are always a good check in person about costs - I've never been as frugal or thrifty as you, and I could take a lesson or two! I'm liking how the actual drawings look behind the windows. I might simply add some sheer curtains to the piece! I like the colors in the old chipped paints on the frames - I wonder if I'd ruin them by trying to burn them a bit...

martha miller said...

Hi Deborah!

Thanks! I really want that other worldly effect, so I'm glad to hear that it's happening a bit! I'm wondering about the fabric thing - I like the idea of movement, but what if the image looks all skewed and looses its impact. So now I'm thinking of sheer curtains as another layer to each piece, using the actual drawings. They will move, but the portrait will stay stable and staring. I think a big part of the portraits power is the gaze...

martha miller said...

Thanks, Dean!
Glad you like this idea!

and Thankyou Especially for calling me a clever GIRL!!! xxx

martha miller said...

Hi Julie!

Thanks for dropping in with your feedback! I really do appreciate it! This is one of the things that I do to recreate some of the support that I had while majoring at MECA - there were always other students around to give feedback about work in progress, and we had weekly studio visits with our professors as well.

martha miller said...

I do so appreciate all your thoughtful responses! THANKYOU! It helps me to process..........

Sheila Vaughan said...

Martha, these drawings are fantastic. I have really enjoyed your daughter's blog but I did not realise you had this one as well. Those window frames are just great but I bet you have decided now what to do with them!