Sunday, March 21, 2010

Stylin' Like There's No Tamara

Baby you can drive my car...










Brad Gailey commented in my last post that my work reminds him a bit of Tamara de Lempicka. I know very little about this artist's work and enjoyed finding these images on-line this morning. Recently I wrote about my concern of becoming too stylized. Wow. Tamara had no such trepidation! Her work brings to mind the paintings of Diego Rivera and Thomas Hart Benton.

I have always struggled with a confidence in my artistic voice. It's good to look at other artists who just forge ahead with their style.

5 comments:

Susan Beauchemin said...

I love the picture of her painting!
As far as style as in styilized--why not?!

Brad Gailey said...

Thanks for overlooking my horrendous spelling in my comment. I particularly like her portraits of her daughter, Kizette, the young woman in the white dress. Some of her nudes could be cut from stone they are so strong. Also the hair, rendered like ribbons, is so compelling. I do so love Art Deco.

Brad

martha miller said...

Hi Sue

I guess the Why not? for me is about the fear that my work would become formulaic and too controlled - and would therefore lose the elements of risk and fresh surprise...

martha miller said...

Hi Brad

I'll have to look back and see what those misspellings are! Didn't notice!
I also like that one of her daughter - it's a bit softer than the others. I like the one on her easel! Thanks again!

Dean Grey said...

I adore the first painting, Martha!

Thanks for sharing her work with us! I always learn something new from your blog!

-Dean