Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Woman with Wounded Man









I've changed the title of this series to Woman with Wounded Man, rather than Wounded Man with Woman. Just sounds better. I decided to use collaged photocopies with the linoleum block print. (Sorry about the poor quality of the 3rd pic - took these on the fly in the dark last night on my way out of the studio). I have added metallic silver and gold borders, and am working into the pieces with charcoal powder and turp. I plan to stitch into them with black thread, and to add some color using pastels and colored pencils. I might add a bit more collaged elements. I'm thinking of somehow adding a different flower to each piece. They are coming along. I'll post the finished products when completed!

9 comments:

artslice said...

Very nice! Interesting title and the stitching sounds great, I'll be looking for the finished product:)

Susan Beauchemin said...

OOOOH!! Nice!! Stormy!!

martha miller said...

hey, thanks, sue & brenda -
these are fun!

aStaples said...

Hi Martha,
So great to see your new work. I've always been a fan of your portraits of MECA students.(I secretly hoped you ask to do one of me.)
I really dug the Mills Brothers clip also. I am adding your blog and website links to my blog. Like Garrison Keilor says, "Be well and do good work".
Aaron Staples

martha miller said...

Hi Aaron

Thanks for dropping by - I know we've probably met but forgive me if I don't connect a face to your name. Did you just graduate? (Illustration?)
Your blog is great - love it!
If I start up another series of portraits (which I may do sometime soon) you will have to sit for me!

Yup - and as G.K. also says:
keep in touch
Martha

William K. Moore said...

Martha.. nice to weigh in here with some new blood.. and some art unbeknownst to me. Excellent work and I enjoy your expressive figure compositions and color usage.

Don Gray said...

This group is great already--moody and passionate, with interesting juxtapositions of media/style.

martha miller said...

Hi William

Thanks! I enjoyed finding your blog - love the energy in your work!
And do find some books @ the library on Kitaj - I think you'll find a kindred spirit!

martha miller said...

Thanks, Don!
Hey, I thought you threw in the towel?

:^)