Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Portraits from My Father's Chair



Two years ago I was in the middle of my last semester and working on my senior thesis project at Maine College of Art. I was a Printmaking major, but my love is drawing the figure - especially portraits. I had started to draw portraits of some fellow MECA students in my junior year, and decided to go for it full throttle for my thesis. For several weeks I had students and faculty sit for portraits - I was doing a portrait a day, sometimes two portraits a day. People came to my studio in the Print Department and sat in an old chair that had been my father's. At the end of the semester, I self published a book of the portraits (eighty in all) titled: Portraits from My Father's Chair: A Collective Portrait of the Maine College of Art Creative Community.
The portraits posted here today are from my thesis series and show three young women, also Print Majors, who graduated with me.
Elissa Stopyra with French Sweethearts, 2006
pastel, oil, charcoal and watercolor on Rives BFK, 29" x 41". For Sale.
Devin and Mindy, 2006
pastel, oil, charcoal and watercolor on Rives BFK, 29" x 41". For Sale.
Caitlin Riordan, 2006
pastel, oil, charcoal and watercolor on Rives BFK, 29" x 41"
SOLD

No comments: