Thursday, August 7, 2008

Allie's Cats

A couple of Allie's Cats admirers at The Maine Festival, 2000.


A page from a gift catalogue called incasedirect that carried my dolls.


dolls...




dolls...



dolls...



dolls...


Me in my booth at the Yarmouth Clam Festival in 1998.


These pictures feel like they are from another lifetime. I really burnt out on making the dolls. I did eventually hire people to sew for me, but that was always dicey. Only a few women could sew the way I wanted them to. And I embroidered every cat face by hand myself. HUNDREDS of cat faces. Agh. In 2001 I had to put all my patterns away and do other types of work for awhile. My art practically died while I was doing Allie's Cats - it sapped me of my creative juices! I'm the sort of person who loves to dream up new ideas, but I have a difficult time with maintaining the production. I get restless and bored. The dolls were really cool, though, and I do miss aspects of the business. People LOVED Allie's Cats. I had over 30 designs, and sold the costumes separately as well. I almost dread posting this for fear that people will see the dolls and ask me to start making them again.
I reached a point where I either had to go bigger with the business and hire more help, or sell it. I did not want to see my dolls being mass produced in another country. And I was too burnt out to expand, so on the back burner it all went, and I went back to school.

No comments: