Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Ghosts and Proofs













More linoleum progress. I've ordered a large roll of Rives BFK on-line and am waiting for it to arrive. I am planning to do reductive prints (many layers of color - one plate - I'll explain more later...) so do not want to carve any further until my paper arrives. Yesterday I hand painted some Stonehenge with yellow acrylic then rolled the linoleum with a coral color water based ink first, then some green, and made some proofs (which are off register, so are very jangled looking. I am going to print a layer of black over these today). I also pulled some ghosts (see top image - ghosts are made using the residual ink left on the plate after pulling a print). It's a major project doing this by hand and by foot (I walk all over the print with my stockinged feet). I might beg and plead the professors in the print dept at MECA next door and see if I can use the big French press over there (hopefully they'll let a print alum back in to work but I'm not betting on it, so more fancy footwork may be in store...)
I need to go buy some of the oil based inks for my finished prints...

2 comments:

artslice said...

Wow Martha, these are looking great. I really admire your tenacity - being without a press! Don't you love carving? I find it quite addictive. Keep it up, you are going to be buff by the time this is finished. :)

Brenda

martha miller said...

Tenacity or stupidity, right now I wonder!! The stuff I worked on yesterday is a MESS! Today I am heading across town to get some of the oil based inks. I think that this will make a big difference! Stay tuned...