Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Pete x Three





Another Tuesday night Life Drawing class @ MECA. I've been drawing along with my students for part of the night. I don't like to hover over them and try to give them space in between my circlings of the room. So I set up an easel and do some quick studies. My students tell me that they like this - they learn from observing my process. They also see that I struggle, too! Drawing the figure is tough! It is hard work. I tell them to feel good about showing up to do this for three and a half hours on a cold Maine winter night! How much easier it would be to stay home on the couch with a book or a movie. When they get discouraged I tell them it is like working out at the gym, or practicing scales. It's all about showing up and doing it. And if there is a keeper drawing among the batch produced, that's icing on the cake!
We had this terrific model last night. He has the most amazing forehead and deep set eyes. I worked with India ink and a fat brush, plus charcoal, charcoal pencil, graphite and pastels. I do like to mix it up. These three drawings are 5-10 minute studies.
Pete III, 2008
India ink, charcoal, charcoal pencil, graphite and pastels on Rives BFK, 22" x 30". For Sale.
Pete II, 2008
India ink, charcoal, charcoal pencil, graphite and pastels on Rives BFK, 22" x 30". For Sale.
Pete I, 2008
India ink, charcoal, charcoal pencil, graphite and pastels on Rives BFK, 22" x 30". For Sale.


No comments: