Friday, February 15, 2008

More About Roll Models: Kelly



I wrote in a previous post about the Roll Models project, when I worked with several high school students after school in the Print Department at MECA. These are the two portaits I did of Kelly in regular dress and costume. Kelly brought a belly dancing outfit to wear for her costumed portrait, then decided against it. She opted instead to wear a Saint Patrick's Day ribbon around her head, and in her hands she held a plastic lavender rose. I sometimes start a drawing by making a colored ground. In this case I colored the paper the same color as the rose, then started to build my drawing. I liked how Kelly looked with a lavender face and decided to leave it that way rather than cover it with skin tones. Kelly asked me to give her some angel wings.
Kelly, 2006
pastel, acrylic, charcoal and colored pencil on Rives BFK, 22" x 30". For Sale.
Kelly with Plastic Lavender Rose and Angel Wings, 2006
pastel, oil, and charcoal on Rives BFK, 29" x 41". For Sale.

No comments: